В-1 and В-2 visas – ‘Visitors for Business’

B-1 and B-2 Visitor Visas

The B-1 visa is designed for ‘visitors for business’ in the USA. Actually, this visa is granted together with the B-2 visa (‘visitor for pleasure’).

This means that if the candidate has an old visitor visa, it may also be valid for business trips. For candidates who came under the visa waiver program, which is described in more below detail, is it usually not necessary to apply for the US visitor visa if they intend to stay in the country for less than 3 months:

For those who came under the visa waiver program:
  • carry out negotiations;
  • trade and investments;
  • discuss investment plans; or
  • make investment; or
  • attend meetings and participate in them completely;
  • interviews and hired personnel;
  • carry out researches.

  • The following requirements must be met in order to get the US work visa:
  • run of business;
  • availability of gainful employment;
  • getting salary from an organization in the USA;
  • participation in amusement or sports events as a professional.

  • Of course, there is a ‘gray spot’ between what is permitted and what is forbidden. In certain strictly restricted cases, the B-1 visa may be used instead of the H-1B.

    Usually, persons who obtained the US visitor visa may stay in the country for up to 6 months (maximum term comprising 1 year) upon entry. There is also an opportunity to extend the visa by another 6 months if the candidate’s status is ‘visitor’. Sometimes the status may be changed to a more permanent.
    The candidate must apply for the US visitor visa in the country of their citizenship or residence.

    Applications submitted in other countries are usually declined.

    Application declines are usually explained as follows: insufficient proofs (social, family or economic relations) that the candidate will return to homeland after the trip to the USA.

    The B-1 Visa in lieu of the H-1B Visa

    In some cases, the US consulate may grant the B-1 visa for work, but to get a job it is also necessary to have the H-1B visa. This condition usually apples only in case when you need to send your worker to the USA for a limited term to complete a particular project. In order to get the H-1B visa in lieu of the B-1, you have to comply with the following requirements:

  • the work in the USA must comply with the H-1B level – the worker must have a specialized profession;
  • the worker must be hired temporarily and receive wages from the employer living outside the USA;
  • the worker may get no compensation from the USA;
  • the worker must have a degree relating to the services they intend to render

  • The H-1B visa acquisition in lieu of the B-1 usually takes about 1-2 weeks; only more documents are required to get the H-1B visa than in case of B-1. The period for application submission is the same as for the standard B-1 visa (the visa may usually be extended by 6 months).

    Want to get US citizenship and H1B visa through a company or employer in America? Interested in how to move (immigrate) to the United States on H1B visa?

    Call us: +1 (305) 490-88-34, and we will answer all your questions!